It's getting easier...

 


Here's what it is about the "green zone".  

Most of us, when diligent about improving our performance on the bike, train at moderately high intensity ("yellow zone"), all the time.  When we intend to take it easy (rest days), we get to feeling good and push into yellow.  And on hard days, because we've pushed too hard on most other days, we don't have the physical capacity to really max out ("red zone") and benefit from the HIIT/fartlek/hill repeats - so end up in yellow.

I started training for Unbound Gravel exactly in this way.  Always at intensity that was too high, and it quickly became apparent to my 52 year old body that doing so wasn't going to get me ready for this endeavor.

So, on the past several rides, I've really relaxed, and and I've worked to lessen anxiety about the enormity of the goal.  I'm focused to stay in the green zone now. My awareness is that MY green zone is just one gear above bouncing when pedaling with minimal muscle tension in my quads.  In just about 10 days, my easy effort has seen my average MPH increased from just over 11 mph  to now around 13.3 mph, with the same perceived effort.  

I am planning to get a heart rate monitor that'll help with policing myself so that when the legs want to go, I can stick to training that works.

I'm going to say - my rides have been short, and regardless, my legs feel crazy amazing!  On the occasion that I am compelled to hit a hill hard, or to accelerate through an interersection, etc., they're wanting to go.  I'll start incorporating hills/speedwork in about one more week.

The bike I am building for gravel is now at the LBS to add some parts for which I don't have tools.  One or two parts will take a minute to get here, so it'll be a week+ before it's back home - I'll post pics once it is on the road.  Below is how it looks now.  Going with 1x12 - she'll be bikezilla, and I'm excited to get acquainted with her.



I am considering entering some gravel grinders in the Gorge/Dalles area this spring.  There are a couple that'll be about right in distance and timing to help prep for UB.  I'll add links once I commit.  I tried one without really training last year - I expect you know how that went.  

Ride well, ride often, I'll see you out there.

Comments