Cycling fatality, not far from home.

This is a huge bummer.

A cyclist from Arizona was on highway 73, not far from Hiawatha this am, when a vehicle who was reportedly swerving to miss a deer, struck and killed him. I don't know much more about it, and I don't know anything first-hand.

I've spent a lot of time on 73, there have been some scary times out there, I've been fortunate to this point. I'm so grateful. This has really gotten me down. I didn't know this rider, didn't know he was around, but I'm so sad.

Like most cyclists, I'm sure he had a family, friends, and had made a substantial sacrifice to come this far, to ride with great people, and to see and enjoy new landscape. I hate that his loved ones got the phone call from so far away, and that they can't say good-bye.

If you are a motorist out there, please keep your eyes open, make good choices, and we'll all get home safe.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Micah,

Thank you for this post. I am a friend and colleague of Earl Johnston who was killed yesterday. Those of us that were friends of Earl in AZ just heard the terrible news this morning and information has been very sketchy. Your post was the first that we were able to find and with the information we are now filling in some of the details.

Earl was a wonderful person that had moved to Arizona a few years ago as part of his job with Honeywell. Prior to that he had worked for many years at the facility in Olathe. He was an avid cyclist and returned to Kansas annually for the Border Raiders 4-State ride. Earl leaves behind a wife and 2 adult children.
Lisa Stokes said…
Thank you for your post. Earl and his wife, Sally, were some of our dearest friends. We just wanted you and anyone else who reads this to know that Earl loved his Lord, Jesus with all his heart, soul, and mind. He spent every morning reading God's Word before beginning his day. He has touched many lives through his example and strong faith. Earl made people smile and laugh with his sense of humor. Many are praying for his family....Sally, Amy, & Ryan.
We are also praying for this young woman who was involved in the accident. Our hearts go out to her, as well. We are comforted in knowing that Earl died doing something that he loved very much and that he is now in the presence of his wonderful Savior!
sunny1 said…
I am not a cyclist however I have friends that are. I have come to realize It takes a great deal of discipline, dedication and passion for cycling to participate in this sport. Earl had all that! He will be missed at Honeywell. My thoughts and prayers are with his family