Green zone...

 


I've been learning, again, about how to train for endurance.  Over and over the research indicates that training in the "green zone" (light intensity) needs to make up the bulk of training effort, and "red zone" (high intensity) needs to be 20% of the work, or less. Being off the bike as long as I have, I'm trying to figure out what is what - everything feels like work right now. I am going to be focusing on "intensity discipline", working to mitigate anxiety about performance, and more authentic effort and building my capacity without overtraining. 

One issue I'm encountering is that there are so many traffic controls with training in an urban area (see graph), that I can't really get a consistent work level established.  My posted avg speed is 13.5 mph, though when I'm not starting and stopping, it looks a little more like 15 mph.  This is not a small difference over longer distances.  

I'm building my new gravel rig (carbon hardtail, 27.5) and then will head to rural gravel, where I'll have a better idea what speed looks like in wind and on higher rolling resistance.  I am hopeful that the green zone looks more like 15 mph consistently, and soon.  

A resource I'm glad to have:

80/20 Training to Race Faster with Dr. Stephen Seiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxODgYXOO7w


Comments