Kansas. Weather in Kansas.

Well, like everywhere else, the folk here say you can't predict anything. I'm getting better. IF I am entered in a challenging event, I can be reasonably certain that there will be crap weather until the date of the event. Crap meaning rain, cold, ice, and mud from hell, everywhere. Thankfully, the day of the event ends up being 80 and overcast, which is perfect for racing. We're in the crap phase now.

Torched my Ultegra rear derailleur yesterday in mud over my rims, which didn't even look that wet until I was buried in it. Somehow picked up a rock, which went over the first pulley, locked up the drivetrain and yanked the rear derailleur OVER the rear axle. I had two gears coming home. At least the chain didn't break!

Ran 2 before the ride, and one after, just to make sure the tank was empty. The legs still felt amazing though, even though I'd gone 30+, the first half into 20+ sustained headwinds. Feels good to know I'll have some punch when I get to the start line. Just need to start going a LOT longer to be sure the punch will be there at mile 195!

Micah.

Comments

Casey Kelso said…
Micah, I'm going to Hiawatha next week, all week. Where to ride? Should I bring a road or mt bike? I'm likely staying at the cabins.
Micah. said…
Casey - bring the MTB. I'll be happy to drop a map of the county by the cabins, with a couple of ideas. How far are you going? You'll get some good hills wherever you are, but if you want my favorite, I can point it out. Roads are getting dry now, so you should be good about any direction. I stay off of chip/seal and highways whenever I can. I don't count on Redneckian drivers around here to be watching for me most of the time, and they take those roads pretty fast. My cell is 785 741-3575. Let me know when you are around!
Micah. said…
And, what brings you to Hiawatha?