Earl Johnston

Earl is the gentleman who was mentioned in the previous post. Seems a little tougher now that I know his name.

Friends who have posted comments here have wonderful things to say in his honor - I'm not a bit surprised. I've not yet met an unhappy cyclist on a long tour. They get sore, disheartened, dirty, sweaty and stinky, but they are all happy. That he has a powerful faith is awesome, too. I know any number of cyclists who are as close to their God riding their bikes as they are at the altar for communion.

If anyone has contact info for the family, please let me know. I'd very much like to send a card from Kansans who are glad that people come so far to ride our gorgeous countryside.

For anyone interested, I am planning on going out to the site of the accident next Sunday morning, June 28th, probably around 9:00 am. I'll ride out on my bike, and would encourage you to do the same. I have a very nice front wheel from a touring bike that I hope to place on the side of the road in honor of Earl, and hopefully as a reminder to drivers to keep eyes open.

This is the latest from our local newspaper. If I am privy to any other information, I'll post it here. http://www.hiawathaworldonline.com/main.asp?SectionID=4&SubSectionID=21&ArticleID=2919

Thanks.

Micah.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Micha,

Again, thank you for this recognition for my friend and colleague, Earl Johnston. I've really had a difficult week walking past his office, two doors down from mine, each day.

Your idea for a small personal memorial has been the most heartwarming thing I've heard all week. If there was any way that I could be there with you this coming Sunday, I would. If it's not too much difficulty, I think it might help many of us here in AZ if there was anyway that you could post a photo of the memorial that you leave behind.

Thanks again for your recognition and memorial to my friend.
Micah. said…
You bet. So glad to do it.
fordo66 said…
My name is Jeff Ford. I lead the group home ministries here at Horizon Church in Surprise Az. I have tears in my eyes as I am writing this. I just want to thank you so much for the time you took to erect this memorial for my friend. I worked closely with Earl on our missions team and I miss him so much. I don't know what else to say other than thank you. Thank you very much.