Hypothermia. Broken chain. What a day.

Went for a killer ride today. Felt great. The first 18, or so were fast, fun, into the wind. I was wearing a tech T, LS jersey, shorts, socks, shoes, helmet. Had sweat under the helmet. Was hydrating very well, taking gel/calories as I ought. Thought that would about do it on such a pretty day. Turns out, NO.

I broke my chain on a steep, long hill. My chain tool, made by Giant, broke (I'll vent about that later). So, I called my sweeheart, who came to get me. On the drive home, I had just the hint of a chill. I was getting ready to take my MTB out to finish the day, when I suddenly LOCKED UP in the most uncomfortable rigors (shivering) I've ever had. Picture the worst fever/chill thing you can remember, then make it 10 times worse. I couldn't walk. I couldn't move my jaw, or really even use my voice. I actually felt the tiny muscles in my skin making the most remarkable goose-bumps I have ever seen. Cripes.

Made it into the shower. Was there 45 minutes, finally started to relax, pulled back the curtain to towel off, and immediately got those terrible shivers. I dove under a down blanket and my sweetie kept the hot gel-packs tucked around me. I was out of it. Couldn't think straight, actually had some fairly clouded thought, and every time I moved, those chills just kicked my ass. Finally, after about 2 1/2 hours, I got dressed in super-warm clothes, took some Tylenol, hydrated, got major calories. As I type, if I move too much I still get some fairly impressive chills. And I'm still not quite right. Man. Even as I sit here, 5 hours later, my pulse is 110, and I get winded walking up the basement steps. (pulmonary edema???).

So, moral of the story, 1) wear more than you think you need, 2) not every mechanical is a bad thing. My broken chain may have kept me out of the E.R.

My concern now, is how badly I might be injured. Hopefully my hypothalamus will reset and I'll be groovin' tomorrow. I really need some training miles.

Micah.

Comments